Monday, February 16, 2009

Going to a Government office:

I have never been to a Government office baring a couple of times for a Driving License and for a EB registration. I have heard lot of stories and seen movies depicting the aristocracies that happens in a government office. Well, I had a first hand experience of the same for the past couple of weeks.

If you move to a new place in India, you can realize how difficult it is to get a Address proof. I never worried about that until I got married. Three months ago, I submitted my application for a Family Card in the Civil Supplies Department. They did their duty well, they came for inspection to my home, they verified my identification and my wife's - told me that I will be getting the card in a months time. Within a week's time I had to leave to US for two months and I totally forgot about the family card for two months.

Once I came back, I went to collect my card to the office. When I went there and showed my receipt for my application form, that employee there too around 1/2 an hour to search for my family card. I am not saying that to criticize the people there, I just felt very sorry for them for the way they are forced to work. They have a office of about 2000 Sq Feet, with 15 people to work. The amount of people they handle would be around 500. Without any computerization, with only paper and ledger for tracking things, it was pitiful the way they are working. They have 30 - 40 years of paper work in that place and if a paper get lost it will become next to impossible to get a lost paper in that maze of papers.

I thought my plight was over when I got my Family Card. But they had printed my name, my address and my Ration Shop id wrongly in my card. When I went to the inspector with that card, he was very sorry. He said it is their mistake, but he cannot help, since changing anything in the card would have no effect in the database from where they print the card. He asked me to submit a affidavit again for processing for the corrections in my card.

As I saw, I could not see only the lazy government official at the office, but only pitiful people, who even if they want to help hundreds of people coming to office cannot do so because of lack of modernization, lack of people. I think it is the duty of the government to modernize and sophisticate these offices and the employees to help people get better service. I see crores of Rupees being spent on the modernization of the politicians vehicles and their security, but these people are working like this for ages without any improvement. I would simply brand this neglect as cheating the people.

1 comment:

Kavitha said...

Are you in a dream? In a state where the normal government's duty of preparing and submitting a budget is called as "sadhanai" and the officials welcome political party people with bouquet, they ever care of imporving basic services? Leave alone the modernization and sophistication. All the govt. every govt by any political party that runs for five yrs wants to do is fill up their Swiss account and getting treated by highly qualified physicians -even for the "manbumigu" pets. Thinking about the way the officials, and so called leaders of govt function just drives me crazy.