Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tamil Radio and RJ's

The other day I was listening to a FM. It has been a long time since I had a chance to listen to one. 10 minutes in to the program I was wondering whether I am listening to a Tamil radio or something else. Out of the 10 words of a sentence 6 are English and only the rest are Tamil. I agree language is only to communicate and if some one communicates the meaning properly. But what is the meaning in running a Tamil radio with the RJ's talking as if they learnt Tamil recently and talking with an American accent, actually it was disgusting. Either they could try to stick English fully or make an conscious effort to talk in Tamil rather than kill it. Then I realized that it is not the RJ's talking in the mix Tamil and English, but also the people whoever calling them are trying to talk in the same.

I cannot actually decide who is at fault here. Is there some thing wrong with our language? or we as a people are at fault. Because I think we have started to mix up English with Tamil without even realizing it. Hope I don't see a day where I will longing to hear something in Tamil.

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Umm...which radio channel was this?

Kavitha said...

Hi!

Just happened to crossby ur blog. Its a truly felt opinion about the FM channels. They feel its a pride to talk in English than in their mother tongue. I feel the problem exists with everyone's attitude.

Anyways, nice to read it from u!

All the very best. Keep going!